Optics (rifle or pistol)

OK........first question for opinions
Rings and bases.......I favor steel over aluminum just for the fact of expansion and contraction capabilities between the two metals. Do y'all prefer steel or does it matter.? I am willing to pay more for steel especially on higher end stuff. what's your opinions on this matter.? I also like Warne equipment because one can get the 4 screw rings versus the 2 screw rings. Just my preference but when it all comes down to it will any of this really make a difference? Just curious.

I use to only use Leupold two piece dove tail mounts but here lately ( due to Krp) I have come to like the picitanny one piece mounts and for the most part I like steel but for lighter recoiling stuff, particularly 22 rifles I have been using the aluminum ones. It was pointed out to me and I concur that you have a whole lot more eye relief adjustment with the picatinny system with todays shorter body bigger 50 mm objective lens scopes,

I use the one piece picatinny mounts on a few rifles but they are usually on the semi's. I prefer the two piece mount on bolt actions. I have used a picatinny rail just to help raise the scope without having to get high rings. I think bolt actions look better with two piece but that's just personal preference.

With the picatinny rails the rings are a damn sight cheaper even the Leupold steel rings as compared to the dove tails. I just like the Leupold stuff. I never was too fond of the Weaver stuff even though I have Weaver mounts and rings on some of my stuff. I can't remember buying any Weaver rings so I am assuming I got some on guns I traded for or bought used.

Weaver beat nothing. Some rifles, mostly military, Weaver is the only base manufacturer. And if I started with it, unless forced other wise, I'll match bases and rings. Weavers work fine.

Back