Krps Projects

I was hoping it was a short action but I don't have a choice in that now do I? I am leaning strong in the 7x57 Mauser. I also want a 3/4 length stock with Schnabel forend tip. 22 inch barrel. (I read in a few places that was the "perfect" length for the 7x57 with 1-9.5 twist) I would also like a removable mag lower but that ain't a deal breaker. I need to talk to KRP about that. LOP....13 1/4. I just want a plain barrel blued.
I am sure the action is drilled and tapped for a scope or at least I hope so. Rather than a one piece base, I would rather have a two piece base (Leupold) probably or Warne steel base. I will probably put a Leupold scope on it (I know, shocker). I am thinking a 4x12x44.
I also want to get it checkered but don't have a clue who does that. Someone talk me out of that. It's gonna take a lot of talking I will warn you.
I have the list I picked from Shaw on the barrel I want. I also just want a solid black butt pad and not too thick but thick enough. Krps help on this would be great too.
I don't want to make this a terribly difficult build for you KRP but it will probably be the only build that I will be involved with and might as well get what I would like as close as possible. Your guidance during this process will not only be appreciated but necessary. Ask me questions that I probably wont think of. Depending on stock spacers and grip spacer will depend on what the final look I am envisioning. I don't think I want an overly shiny finish on the stock so the spacers might not be necessary.
Any thoughts or helping hints will be welcome.
Any way to send a pick of the action in the stock?

Nope all you can have is a 260 Rem or a 25-06. That's your choices pick one. LET IT BE WRITTEN LET IT BE DONE !!!

But it ain't a short action. I already have a 25-06. It would have to be the 260.

Damn it......you made me go do some reading. Apparently one can use short action cartridges in a long action. People do it all the time. Especially with a push feed action like a Rem.700. I think you are just playing with my lack of extensive knowledge now. Now I gotta rethink everything. This is like getting news from a Doctor and wanting a second opinion. Where is Krp?? What does he think? Don't make me call him, I hate talking on the phone.

WOW....look at the grain in that wood. It's gorgeous. Is the pen pointing at something in particular?

Oh yeah. He is fixing to answer you. He is getting on his lap top,
Told you the 260 would work. Now I got to find a barrel. You are going to really like the 260. It's a helluva round

Picks with the pen are showing milling gaps. While none are deal breakers, They will need to be Acri-Glassed. The one pointing at the wrist ? Is showing the drop for your thumb will need to be deepened. No sweat, I do this on damn near all the stocks I work. And looks much better in the end. And will keep you from knuckling your nose under recoil.
The barrel channel is off center. Much of this can be negated by the choice of barrel contour = A little heavier barrel will need to be selected, or the barrel will be Acri-Glassed.
The bell cuts on the mag box opening ? May not be a problem just yet. Until I get bottom metal and trigger guard. This will be determined later. I'm leaning that there is too much taper to the front of mag opening on the stock inlet.
On the checkering ? Good luck finding someone to do it that is competent. The only person I knew died 15 years ago. And the price may make you mark your laundry. You might look to see if someone is offering laser chechering...

I am checking on that checkering. They usually want the stock finished so I can get that done anytime. Just let me know what I need to do on my end. The stock looks good.

Savage long action so if the need arrises or the urge overtakes me I can change to another caliber. I kinda doubt the urge will overtake me but you never can tell.

Double , Start looking at bottom metal. As I'm fairly sure 700 Rem LA metal should, or better work, You'll need to come to a decision on which to use, and at what capacity. I was looking at HS Precision, 7x57, low capacity. $369....and I don't think this includes a mag. Pay careful attention to mag prices ! Next is who will be the barrel supplier. And if you want the Remage style barrel, or a standard. If going with standard, it may be better to let them install the barrel. May take longer ? but cheaper in the long run.
I'm pushing it now to get all components here and fitted to the stock, So I can be working the stock to finish grade while waiting for the barrel or the barrel work.
As a heads up, As of now, I can find no 722 bottom metal so far.

I thought we were going to use Shaw for the barrel. You would know more about the barrels than I will. Would it be better or easier for a magless bottom?

Back