Krps Projects

test fired the 7.7 Jap 99... 174 grain bullet, 1/2 grain under max loads from 1993. I didn't load em....LITTLE punchy, but not too bad....HORRIBLE trigger pull !! Like about 15 .lbs ...I'm not too finicky about trigger pull, but this S.O.B. is bad.
Sooo, Took it back to the bench, and started feeling on it. Determined the firing pin spring was MUCH too heavy. Took a Dremel and cut-off wheel, and took a full wind off the spring. This took quite a few pounds off the trigger pull, and made the safety much easier to work.
It's by no means a target trigger? But a load better than it was. I think I can live with it. May work on it more.
Fixin to get into a MAJOR reloading session. Found my sized and de-primed 7.7 brass from mil-spec 30-06 brass, NOT head stamped, Need to clean, and maybe trim it, and commence to reloading. Gonna anneal it too.
Have some major test firing and custom reloading coming up.
Have a 7.62 Cetme 93/95 Mauser at Thorsby, MANY have looked at it ? But when you tell them it isn't a 308 ? and try to explain that's it's a 308 cartridge, Loaded to 300 Savage loading ? Their brains turn to mush. I'm getting to the point that if no one can figure it out ? and I have to load ammo for em ? Screw it, I'll keep the rifle and use it myself.

I don't know if they are too lazy to do it or too dumb or a combination of both. The gun is beautiful and is perfect for someone that needs a little less recoil and all the ummph to kill a deer.

I got the Savage apart as far as I can get it with the stuff I have available, and except for a slightly broken plastic trigger guard everything seems to be in order. This thing started life as a 110E in 30-06 with a birch stock. It won't finish that way. This rifle building stuff is addictive.

I know it hasn't been 16 weeks for Shaw, but has there been any communication about my build?

Nope, but that's not unusual. They won't or don't give an estimated time. It's kinda like childbirth, It happens when it happens.

Talk about it takes a community to raise a child. It's taking people around the US for this baby. lol

Thought I'd post this here....
Brownell's....Has some time in the past sold...And things aren't looking good. The bolt handles I've used for years ? Gone....No longer available.
Ordered some #31 drill bits for drilling and tapping scope bases ? FRIGGIN JUNK !! Smoked 4 of them and got 1 hole drilled.
Ordered a different style bolt handle ? Got lost in the USPS black hole of shipping....
STILL wondering if the effort is worth the aggravation. Bolt handles are getting to be a problem to find.. No one is making anything in the classic style handles anymore, The handles I ordered will have to be altered before welding.
The gunsmithing trade is going the way of mechanics. You just change parts. Plastic fantastic cheapo firearms.
Just realized the engineering genius of the Savage 110 rifles. Always liked the out of the box accuracy ? but didn't really look at the engineering that they used. This was most likely the first of the quick change actions made. Just didn't look at it too hard.
Now it looks that the 110 is now getting to be the high $$$ line in Savages, and may be getting phased out. They are doing the same with the 110 as with the AR line of rifles. Adding the Axis and Axis II actions plus others. Once you understand the engineering ? Pretty much a change out of parts along the AR line.
Wood and high polish blue are about gone, and the prices paid for the ones that exist are high. Mauser 98 actions for builds are almost history, and for the most part, anything available is garbage. Starting to look to the 93/95 Mauser actions ? But they have caliber limitations. The Arisaka actions are drying up, and prices for any parts is getting stupid.
Looking like I'll finish with the actions/rifles I have, and give it up. Start shooting the collected firearms I have, and scale down the collection.

I would say you are right Krp. The days of what you do are going by the wayside. No newbies are getting into those type of measures. They take an AR and swap out parts and rearrange parts and then act like they built a gun. Anybody can hang a picture on the wall but few can actually paint the picture.
You are the old school at this point and just be glad that you have the experience and knowledge of having done so.
( you still have mine to play with. has it been 16 weeks yet? lol)

There shore ain't a lot of guns made out of wood and steel anymore that's for sure. everybody wants a "mountain rifle" or a "lighter quicker composite stock with a cerakote finish and a carbon barrel."

Back