Krps Projects

I will be gone from 4 o'clock till probably after 10 pm today. I will call tomorrow evening.

That was quick. I mailed your check. Tell Krp I forgot to call. I got wrapped up in that terrible crime Trump was convicted of. What a bunch of BS.

Krp, sorry I haven't got back with you. Been kinda hectic around here. I want to be able to call when I can concentrate on what we need to talk about. I am hard of hearing and its hard to hear on the phone. I do have questions. But I always do. Today wont be a good time to call either. How long will you be in Bamar.?

Don't sweat it. Stuff happens. It'll get done when it gets done. I'm going to pull the barreled action out of the 722 I have here. And mark places that will need to be glass bedded.
If you come across a pic of a stock you like, shoot it to me. Also ,shoot me a pic of the style schnabel you like ....There are MANY styles. This may, or may not be possible. The barrel has been inletted and holes drilled on the vertical. Which if drilled deep enough, may make slimming the forend impossible. The barrel channel is deep, which means taking off stock wood may expose the glass bedding.
In short, this removal of wood will dictate how the stock lines can be styled. These stocks are shaped proud. Making them heavy, And were intended for the maker to remove wood where wanted. The 7/8's stock lengths are attractive, but need extensive slimming to keep from being a heavy stock.
The barrel contour may have to be heavier to accommodate the wood that has been removed. I'll get it right, one way or another.

Krp....what do you think about this? No removable mag but with this build probably not required. Maybe no pillars needed also. Its just a standard LA 700 bottom metal.

That should do it. Let me double check length on action.......Good find.
That's it. Just checked action. I get the bottom metal, Things will start moving. Will need the recoil lug also.
Other parts needed.
1. Recoil pad.
2. Determine caliber, and either send off action to be barreled....or order barrel. Determine contour of barrel too.
Certain fitting can be done without barreled action, Shaw wait time is now at 16 weeks (shit) But, there ain't much to be done about it ? The quicker it gets sent off, the faster it will get returned. Because of the inletting done on stock ? I'd suggest a magnum contour barrel. A little heavier.
We start to fill out the work order for Shaw, We'll do this on the phone together.
May want to ship the action to Shaw from here, shorter trip. I'll be here til Tuesday at least.

Last edited:
Is there a particular brand of recoil pad you prefer.?
Shaw has a varmint barrel, would that be to big. Maybe too heavy for this build.?
Would the recoil lug depend on the barrel used?

On the barrel ? I've been using the light varmint 3.5 (I think) The magnum contour is a bit smaller...
Recoil pad will be large I suspect. I'm partial to Limbsaver, But, in this application, weight considered, a thinner model may be used. it will be a grind to fit model. need to get dimensions of stock before ordering.
Recoil lug should be standard.

Krp knows more about it than I do but I've never known them to get in a hurry, or even be on time with anything. They do good work but are slow as smoke rising off cold dew dew. Maybe since there is no fluting it will be quicker. I have the spiral fluting on mine so maybe that takes another step.

I'm sure fluting does take longer. as many as 2 other steps, maybe, Possible now days there maybe a dual cutter lathe. Also the fluting looks like it's blast textured now.. Another step.
But I'm talking out my arse. I've seen, for a couple minutes a CNC lathe in operation. Have no idea of what the capabilities are, I do know after set-up ? They are fast as hell.
I do know this. They won't set a lathe up for a single run barrel. And a production run of barrels will be a complicated MF'er !!! Some SERIOUS thought has to be done to do production runs, and make them profitable. I know from experience that deep hole drilling can be a BASTARD on a manual operated lathe. I've done it. It sucked. BUT that was decades ago, Tooling and machines have changed BIG TIME. Then the rifling cutting process. Action threads, chambering, A barrel is a fairly complicated process. I'd really like to tour Shaw, Just to see how they run production. I'm fairly sure it would be quite impressive.

There is a local guy (1 hour away) that makes guns. Barrels and receivers. He does a lot of work for law enforcement and long range shooters. I have been in his shop and he showed me around. All his machines are like big enclosed boxes and computerized. He was turning a barrel at the time I was in there and he wasn't even at the machine. He had set it up via the computer after he set the barrel stock and just walks away. The machine stops automatically. It takes a while to turn the barrel. Not a fast process. The through hole is also done by a separate machine and basically the same process. Sets the barrel stock and sets up the machine depending on caliber and let it go. It was very interesting and impressive. Inside the machine the coolant and lubricant are automatic.
This feller has a waiting list also. Nice guy though and willing to talk.

I wonder how many barrels he can do at one time? If it's one at a time I bet he does have a waiting list.

After years, I got a bug, and D&T'd the Arisaka 99 carbine, This is one fugly lil truck rifle. 17 1/2" barrel, black painted military stock reworked. Old Redfield 2x7x32 scope.
Picked it up on GA for little $$, With this in mind. In 7.7x58 Arisaka. Full length of rifle is 36". It's all fitted, Just need to finish matte blue, and develop a load for it....Kinda spiffy lil rifle, Most likely gonna be a kicker.

Got another Savage. It started life as a 30-06. It won't remain that way. It's on the way so there is time to make a decision.

Back