Looking for a........

You probably know this but the 721 is the long action and the 722 is the short action. Same gun. 25-06 would be a 722 being it is a short action caliber. The bolt release is different on these guns verses just pulling the trigger to remove the bolt.They actually have a bolt release in front of the trigger. I have a 308 in Win 88 but I am looking for a Rem 600 in a 308. Not a big fan either of the 308 but the Rem 600 in 350 rem mag just bring too much money.

Be better off to make your own. Barrels were too short. Been looking at the 350 Rem for quite some time, but as far as the caliber goes ? Be improved by a longer barrel ? But others will accomplish the same results. In my book the 350 Rem Mag just wasn't that good of a caliber. Remington putting too short of barrels on the rifles pretty much doomed it to obscurity. You would be better served with a 308.
I've been jacking around with the 358 Win. Kind of like it so far ? But the proof will be whacking a deer with it. The rifle is a little strange. 24" bull barrel on a Savage 110...Blond factory maple stock. By ballistics ? I'll call 250 to 300 yards.
It should have had a shorter handier barrel ? couldn't pass on the price. And lightening in other area's make a pretty fair rifle to tote around. It's not a brush gun.

Yes they do have a short barrel but they do have a collector value to them. Would it be a go to gun for me with deer.....no. But this day and time with all the local yokels wanting 308 and 556, I figured the 308 would sell quick. The main reason I want the 600 is because I don't have one. In another 5 to 10 years I will probably relinquish all my investments anyway. Of course I will keep what I need but a lot of my aquirements are for the future. I do enjoy looking at the workmanship in various rifles ( or pistols and shotguns) compared to today's stuff that is on the market that I wouldn't have if I could afford it. Take the 721.....just a plain walnut stock but the metal is beefy and strong. Meant to work for years to come. Some of today's stuff I don't think will last 25 years from now. Lot of throw away stuff being made nowadays. Plastic crap. We have talked about this before so you know what I mean.

You nailed it. With the manufacturing process these days ? I find myself seriously looking at firearms I wouldn't have given a second look 25 years ago. Part of it is quality, The other part is experience as time goes by. All of a sudden it's....Wait a minute here, Hmmm, what's this ?
Firearms and calibers that didn't hit the mainstream ? But were still pretty damn good, if not excellent. Just kinda got overlooked. Then there's snobbery or ignorance. Gun writers being the biggest snobs and bigots and outright bullshitter's....
This is a field that is always teaching me something new.....Probably the reason I've stayed in it for decades. And as aggravating as the Internet is, and biased, If you learn to read between the lines, A wonderful tool for information and education.
I'm wondering what direction the firearms will be taking in the future. Same with calibers. As far as I'm concerned, New caliber/firearms are marginally better, if not worse, than those done decades earlier.

Back