Things to share

Got back from arkansas watching the solar eclipse. Talk about strange with it going dark at about 2:30 (central) time. I am seeing all the changes to this forum while I was gone. Looks good so far.

There was a pond on the property (50 acres) that we watched the solar eclipse and we did some fishing. It had bass and blue gills. We also did some jug fishing. We took a Clorox bottle (empty of course) about 6 of them and put about a 4ft string tied to it with a blue gill on a hook through its tail. It didn't take an hour and all the jugs started bobbing up and down. So we got in a john boat to retrieve them and all the jugs had about 30 lb cat fish on them. These things were about 3 ft long and as big around as a leg. We turned them loose back in the pond but that was pretty awesome.
The folks that lived there were great. Older couple that were actually Grandparents of some of the youngins that were there. Good people and could she cook. Reminded me of Linda with everything homemade (biscuits and gravy) from scratch. I think I gained about 20 lbs. Country at its best.

Here ? The light sorta dimmed down. Strange looking.
Did those folks feed their catfish? Around here a lot of people feed their catfish bagged feed. Carry it at the feed store. Floating fish feed....WTH ? Strange to watch. Throw it out, water starts boiling with fish.
As far as fishing goes ? Always been lazy. Like tight lining and jug fishing at night. Ain't the same since I quit drinking. Cooler full O beer, nice fire, lawn chair, low music, pole holders with bells on the poles. The number of bells you lost was directly related to how much beer you drank. Bell starts ringing, jump up get ready to snatch pole and set hook. Forget to remove bell. Give the pole a jerk to set hook ? PLOOP, CRAP, there went the bell in the water...... Fish ain't biting ? Who cares, watch some caveman TV (fire) fall asleep. Fish starts biting ? Jump up, lose another bell.
Thinking the lease farm is being sold ? May have to make a night fishing raid on the lake....................
Sounds like Y all had a good time..............

He feeds the fish only in the spring and summer. Not sure why not in the fall and winter. But the water boils with cats when fed. The bass don't get to a big size because the cats eat them before they can get too big. The blue gills were as big as your hand that we used for bait.I am going to get pics and post here of the cats we caught. I think I would get rid of some of the cats if it was me. Game control.
It was a total eclipse, 100%, and it was surreal. I was glad I got to experience this eclipse because I probably wont be around for the next one.

Apparently Arkansas has chiggers. Yep.....I got em. They are kinda different from the ones up here though. They leave a bigger mark. Little bastards.

Don't know about Ark chiggers ? The Mo variety will leave scars. I've got them.

We went through Mo. The boot heel they call it. I thought about looking you up but you were about 6 hours away.

That ought be a world record !! Wonder what pound test he was using. Wait a minute. I did something kinda sorta like that deer hunting once. But I was using about 300 .lb test line. And there was more left of the deer.

Something else the ATF will jump on. Matter of time. And this is nothing new. There was already something similar done in the 90's. Had one. Awkward to fire. Intesafire, I think. Ended up on a paintball gun, Or thrown away. rotating the handle pulls the rifle off target, BAD
Having fired full-auto, and studied on it. (was seriously considering getting a MG-42 ) I've come to 2 conclusion. a shoulder fired FA rifle is too hard to control. And unless water-cooled, There are limits to the rounds sent downrange before the barrel is ruined depending on rate of fire.
This would end up a long story on full auto rifles/machine guns. But from what I understand, The best designed (MG-34 & MG-42) had interchangeable barrels. The MG-34 was redesigned to the MG-42 because the rate of fire was TOO fast.
In short, 3 round burst is the way to go. After about 150 rounds, depending on design of the firearm ? Heat starts to destroy parts on a full-auto firearm.........3 round burst is the way to go.

They made something similar to this years ago and they may still make it. I haven't checked. It was for a 22 LR and I think it was made for a 10-22 Ruger. It might have been a one size fits all thing but I saw it on a 10-22. It was mounted on the front of the trigger guard. It worked. I didn't see a whole lot of use for it unless you were being attacked by a tribe of rabid Indian squirrels but it did spew lots of bullets in a short amount of time.

Yep, 10-22. and because your right hand is operating it, and not stabilizing the rifle, it wanders all over the place. Them rabid Indian squirrels would get you and steal yer nuts. I found it to be awkward as hell.
It was shortly after that I shot my first full-auto. Gave up the crank-fire as useless. And shortly after that ? full-auto itself as not so good. What I've found is they play down the heat build up in full auto. And the fact that the more successful guns needed a crew to operate, and most had quick change barrel features. There was a reason these machine guns are heavy. Control. and heat control
Been reading about a Japanese light machine gun, tri-pod mounted, the G.I.'s called the "Woodpecker" 7.7x58 caliber, fired from a 30 round stripper, slow cyclic rate, hence the Woodpecker name. This light machine gun could be, and was, scoped. Supposed to be a exceptional firearm. The Japanese kept the firing rate down. 450-550 r.p.m.
Don't know how true this is ? But I've read that the MG-42 belts were limited to 150 to 200 rounds to control heat build up on barrels. And when the belt ran out, barrel change was required.
What I have found ? Full-auto firearms are much more complicated in logistics than we've been led to believe.

May not be quite the same but the 20mm Gatling guns on the F4 fighter jets that I loaded in the service shot 600 rounds a second out of 6 barrels. The pilot could only shoot 3 seconds at a time (1800 shots) before the barrels would start warping and even melt. Usually about a second at a time because they were past the target at that point anyway. We loaded 6000 rounds in a magazine pod at a time. Had a special machine to load with. The jet itself had an integrated gun and we could mount another 4 self contained guns. That would make for 30,000 20mm rounds.

Pretty much confirms what I've been seeing. Depending on rounds per minute ? You're going to smoke barrels, FAST ! Aircraft are moving at high speed, And even with the air cooling ? At the high cyclic rate, You're still limited to short bursts.
This I think is what is being overlooked by most when thinking of firing full auto. Finned barrels, water cooled, other attempts at keeping barrel heat down, Most think that full auto is unlimited firing time. And that just isn't the reality. There are limits.
Then, consider keeping it fed. Linking ammo on belts, keeping mags loaded under fire.
I recently read something on why steel cased ammo is frowned upon ? and it made perfect sense. The problem lies with heat. Lacquer coated steel cases, When left in a hot chamber. The lacquer coating starts to melt, then cools and sticks to the chamber walls = stuck casing. This makes perfect sense, and is easily fixed. Don't leave a unfired shell in a hot barrel. The more I research this. The more 3 round burst makes all around better sense in shoulder fired rifles.
Then there's tactical application.......That's a whole other mess. Pistol cartridges ? less heat = shorter range. Bigger cartridges, faster heat build up. Heat is the enemy. This is why I've never understood the thinking behind 4,000 F.P.S. cartridges.

Last edited:
Back