New Ones

Krp57

Administrator
Staff member
A place to show and discuss new and old handguns.
Just picked up a Para-Ordnance P-10 40 cal. This is something close to the Warthog Model, but isn't ...??? 10 round double stack mag.
Had some P-12 mags here I picked up along the way, These are 45 acp mags. With a bit of careful work on the feed lips, add a spacer for the bottom, they run. Without the 12 round mags and spacer, you only have a 3 finger grip, So, This works better 2 ways. Found I could shoot alright with the 3 finger grip ? but prefer 4 or full hand grip better, and 2 extra rounds. the P-13 mags will also work ? But start getting costly, And if I can't get it done with 12 rounds ? Probably isn't going to get done anyway.
A heads-up . When using double stack mags ? Check closely for cross application of pistols. Have a ATI Fatboy 45 acp.... By chump luck and a internet search, found a old forum thread that led me to the Para-Ordnance mags working in this pistol. This pistol was originally a 12 round, was able to get P-14 mags at half the price of the ATI mags (12 round) add a spacer, and this made the pistol a 14 + 1 capacity pistol. A heavy lil bassard ? all steel, +15 rounds of 45, it's gonna be, STILL one of my favorite carry pistols.
This has also led to another problem in concealed carry...THE HOLSTER !!!! Because I'm active, my back and hips are shot, Small of back is no longer a option. So I carry cross draw. Under a shirt, The pistol doesn't get beat to hell this way. But, As my butt is going to my belly, and no ass to hold up my drawers ? Gonna have to get suspenders. That, and a retention strap for the pistol is required. Make no mistake, You'll drop the pistol if there isn't a retention strap.
I own many handguns of all types, But, still have to admit, The 1911, is still my favorite of all, even moreso with the double stack variety, But, like every pistol, weight starts becoming a issue...........

I always wondered why they would put short grips on pistols. The three finger grips aren't very comfortable. The extended mags help. Small caliber guns its not as bad an issue but like the 40 cal I think one needs the better control. What are you supposed to do with your pinky finger anyway if there is no where to put it? It kinda dangles in the wind and feels out of place. Some Berreta's are short gripped but mostly in the smaller calibers. I really like the 96 model (or the 92). It feels good in my hand. I agree about the four finger grips especially with a heavier gun. The three finger just feels awkward.

You think the 40 cal with a short grip is aggravating to shoot try a Glock 29 sub compact in 10 mm with a 3 1/4 inch barrel. Muzzle jump
is not the word for it plus you can just barely get 3 fingers on the grip.

Last edited:
WoW......TC barrels are starting to go out the roof. It's nothing to ask $350 to $400 for them now. Selling like hotcakes too. I am glad I started collecting them when I did because they are starting to be priced out of my capability. When I started they were about $150 to $200. We will see about 5 to 10 years from now.
Also picked up my third AMT (automag II). Prices on them are going out the roof too. Especially the 30 carbine's.

That always figures. The automag pistols are what I don't have. Have most of the back-up models, and a stainless Gov model. Did they make one in 45 auto magnum ?

They made a Hardballer and a Backup in 45. I think the automag only came in 22mag. There is an automagIII in 30 carbine but it goes for 2 grand or more.

Just picked up a TC 10 inch 30 carbine barrel for a song and dance. Unbelievable. They usually go for about $400. I put a bid on it and figured it wouldn't win and it just seemed like everyone quit bidding. Right place right time? I'm happy.
However the one I really wanted (14 inch 17 hmr) ....I didn't win. Those are hard to find to start with and of course went way past my discretionary spending.

Belve.......you ever get any TC stuff in your shop? Are they popular down there?

Ehhhh not so much. I know a couple of people that shoot them but as far as I know they aren't a big seller here. I have seen some at the gun shows.

Picked up a new and different project revolver. Hopkins & Allen 38 S&W breaktop. Gonna try my hand at a restoration. This pistol is nickeled. Won't be when I get done with it. HATE nickeled firearms...peels off...GA# 17338491.... Even if it gets screwed up, I won't be out much.
I've been developing a fondness for the breaktop pistols. And research has said that loaded with 200 grn lead round nose bullets. The British considered it a effective short range man stopper. I like these little 38's.
I KNOW the blaster will remove the nickel real well, But this pistol will have a matte finish. Suits me just fine. Don't like shiny pimp pistols anyway.
I now have 2-38's...a 32...and a 44-40. The 32 is pert much useless in my book ? It is kinda cute.

I have looked everywhere and I can't find that one. I'm thinking that is a one size fits all made by that company only. From the looks of all the holes it would probably fit a whole lot of other guns and sights. I even went to the Leupold site and i didn't see anything listed for the Ruger 57. See if you can find one made specifically for the 57 and the Leupold Pro Point. If you can do that even if you can't find the UPC number I can check the manufacturers on each of the distributors pages and find it easy enough. From what I can tell from all the looking those things are being sold at about double distributor cost. I can find plates made for the 57 but not the Leupold on the 57. I found plates for Holosun and Aim Point and about 3 others but no ProPoint.

Thats what I found out and that's why I asked you about the item I posted. I thought maybe it was proprietary. I also looked at Leupold and Ruger. Maybe I will look at holosun. But I am prejudice with Leupold. I will just order that base myself. According to a couple of gun forums, Outer impact is a go to vendor.

Surely Leupold makes a plate to fit a Ruger 57. Somebody made this thing I got that fits a Canik. If they make one to fit a Turkish gun they make a plate to fit an American made gun.

I have contacted Leupold to get their advice. We will see what they say and how quick their response is.

I did a little more reading on it last night before the lights went off, we got what Krp had a couple of days ago. On some of the things I read and I don't know if they knew what they were talking about, they said you didn't need a plate. It said when you pull the cover to the MOS sight off, it had holes pre-drilled to mount a sight. I don't see as how that is possible given how may different manufacturers sights are made but who knows maybe it does. You know if it was on the interweb it has to be true.

Leupold got back with me. They do not make a base for that gun. They said to check with C&H precision and see if they make one. I checked.....nope. I took a close look at the Delta point and I just don't see how it could be mounted without a plate. The direct mounting holes don't line up at all for the Ruger 57. I might just get the Outer impact one. It does say it will work.

You can look at some of the others. I am as bad as you about using all Leupold but I have sold a bunch of the Holson sites and have shot a couple of guns that have them on them. I have a friend of mine that has one on a 365LX and he swears it's the best thing since canned beer. I am considering getting one to go on my Glock 19 so I can leave the ProPoint on the Canik. The Holson's are a little less expensive than the Leupold and I think have a lifetime warranty as well.

I just emailed Ruger and asked them about this situation. They are supposed to answer within 3 days. We will see. I think I asked them something before and they were pretty quick answering. It is Friday so it might not be until Monday or so. Leupold was very quick answering.

Ruger just got back with me and they just referred me to their website. Quick response though. Apparently both Leupold and Ruger don't make a base. I will order the "Outer Impact" base and call it gravy.

Back