Krps Projects

Krp57

Administrator
Staff member
Soon as time allows, will catch up on recent projects. HEADS UP !!! There are some NICE firearms showing up on auction. Won a 1917 Enfield, bid mainly for the action.....Screwed again. The stock had been cut, the ears milled off, and a Lyman peep added......?????....WTH ??? It already had peep sights on it ! someone milled the ears off the front sight....WTF ??? And cut the stock down.
The rifle came in ? EVERYTHING that matters is perfect. I've had a stock here for around 25 years, looking for a action. replaced the front sight to original. Few small parts on the way ? Matte finish re-blue... Now I have another !@#$%$ 30-06 sporter.....@#$%#....But it looks GOOD.
Have 2 M-98's ..8mm....One is here, inspected it ? WUNNERFUL !!!! Needs bluing, Has a Boyd's Prairie Hunter-Pepper laminate stock, Leupold base, Dayton Traister trigger and safety, This will be a nice Sporter.
The other is a Greek 98. This is a somewhat rarer 98 version...But, someone drilled and tapped it for a scope, and forged the bolt handle = screwed value. But again, excellent condition. Not going to sweat it. Have 3 VERY nice sporter stocks for the 98 that need a action. Have to change the rings around, add the safety and aftermarket trigger I have here....Another nice sporter.
Another heads up....SHAW......16 weeks on ANYTHING.....2 barrels have been on order since the first week of November. Went to the website ? In nice terms ? Translation........ "Don't even bother asking about your order. You'll get it when we get done"...............That ain't good....
Then, The SAVAGES, Built a rifle in ......25-06......284 Winc.......35 Whelen...... on a Boyd's At-One stock. If I can't kill it with those calibers ? It ain't gonna get kilt. These are the heavier magnum caliber contour barrels, and will change them as needed.
Also a 7mm-08/358 Winc rifle....Bull contour barrels SS. Standard Savage blond wood stock. Also have built a few on the ArchAngel Pro-Mag stocks.
A Magnum version...264 Winc.....300 winc........458 Winc. On a Savage wood reworked stock...for now All heavy magnum contour barrels. Stock may get changed...

Have the same stock. Belve and myself were discussing the glaring ass hardware on the adjustable L.O.P. feature. Painted mine today.
Ended up using high heat flat black. Satin black ended up being too glossy for my taste. Took the finish down too 220 grit. painted it, too glossy. The flat black matches nicely.
Mine is on a Savage 110 LA in 284 Win. The ArchAngel stock was considered first. BUT ! As the 284 is a rebated rim cartridge, With a bigger case body diameter, Than the rim, I saw feeding problems from a detachable box mag. Turned out to be true, and has always been a problem to be considered with the 284 Win.
The Savage 110 Long Action, CENTER feed, staggered magazine ? ZERO problems. And any future rifles built in this caliber ? Savage 110's ONLY. The more I work with the Savage 110 action ? The more I understand just how sharp the designers were. Fellers, The men were ON IT !!! Not only did they come up with a sharp way to keep production costs down, They did it in a way not to sacrifice quality.

Have the same stock. Belve and myself were discussing the glaring ass hardware on the adjustable L.O.P. feature. Painted mine today.
Ended up using high heat flat black. Satin black ended up being too glossy for my taste. Took the finish down too 220 grit. painted it, too glossy. The flat black matches nicely.
Mine is on a Savage 110 LA in 284 Win. The ArchAngel stock was considered first. BUT ! As the 284 is a rebated rim cartridge, With a bigger case body diameter, Than the rim, I saw feeding problems from a detachable box mag. Turned out to be true, and has always been a problem to be considered with the 284 Win.
The Savage 110 Long Action, CENTER feed, staggered magazine ? ZERO problems. And any future rifles built in this caliber ? Savage 110's ONLY. The more I work with the Savage 110 action ? The more I understand just how sharp the designers were. Fellers, The men were ON IT !!! Not only did they come up with a sharp way to keep production costs down, They did it in a way not to sacrifice quality.
So I take it you liked the flat black better. I was going to paint mine today but I got busy cutting grass and finishing up the rock face on the shooting shed. Did you use the Krylon flat black or was it some other brand?

Nope, Not sure which action was in the stock at the time ? But it's a Boyd's pepper laminate. Mauser action.

FINALLY received the 2 barrels from Shaw, for the Savage 110 build. Ordered first week of November. 25-06 and 35 Whelen.
And this morning I'm in a foaming RAGE !!!
I have blued MANY of the barrels with Brownells Oxpho Blue...NEVER had ANY problem. Not so anymore...Cleaned both barrels with Acetone. and went to blue them ? I thought I had stainless barrels !!! The blue would NOT take !! Used every trick I know ? and ain't real happy with the result.
I don't know WTF is going on ? But I have the suspicion they're using a different rust preventative before shipping ? And this shit is a PROBLEM !!
Turned a fairly easy job into a pure BASTARD !! And I'm PISSED !!! If I have to blast these barrels to get this shit off, and end up with a matte finish ? Someone at Shaw is going to have a BAD day.
I understand having to change products for the best results ? But this is frigging STUPID !! I suspect I'll have to put the barrel in a lathe, and polish this shit off to get the blue to take for a polish blue finish, or blast it and get a matte blue whether I like it or not.
This just turned a 30 minute job into a 3 hour job with piss poor results.

Bet Yo ass, I'm getting pretty ill with Shaw. Wait times are getting worse, When I placed the order ? 8 weeks, and kept going up. And now this. Since I posted, I took some 400 wet or dry to the barrel, And I think it's a little better. Which tells me it's a coating they are putting on it, and this is horse shit. They need to check the effects of their actions BEFORE they do this crap.
Screwing your customers just ain't real smart.

I wonder if it's on this 25-06 barrel I got laying here in the floor. It's a Shaw barrel but from another vendor.

Never mind. I just remembered I ordered the barrel blued. I started to unwrap the barrel and thought "this is dumb as hell the barrel is already blue." I never finished unwrapping it.

Last edited:
Works both ways my friend. Was watching the 45-70 myself. But ya beat me to it, So left it alone. The 349 will just be a project gun. I'm sure I have the Poly-choke here for it. Or it may get the slug gun treatment.

Back