Virginia laws

double

Administrator
Staff member
The Gov. signed a bill that bans binary triggers. I don't have much use for one anyway and I think they are just a gimmick. However, its a new regulation we will have to live with here.

Yeah the legislature in Alabama is poised to pass a bill banning "Glock switches." There is already a law banning full auto, federal and state. The democrats are trying to get it passed just to get to say they passed a gun law fo de chirrin. They are passing laws for things that already have laws on the books and they don't enforce them now. We have a house rep that helped get permitless carry passed and he was trying to get a bill passed out of the house that forbid banks and cc companies to keep a list of gun and ammo purchases--you know something that would violate our 10th amendment rights but NOOOOOOO they want to worry about making something illegal that is already illegal. The banking bill got sent back to committee.

Do y'all have anything like this double? It's kinda like a cross between having an attorney on retainer and " I had to shoot the sob" insurance. That might be something you would be interested in. I am thinking about putting all the Admins and Moderators into BamaCarry as a way for them to get this coverage. It's half price for BC members which is $75.00 @year. Me Linda Matthew all have it and I need to have my two daughters to get it.

Yes there is a company here to get you lawyered up if anything goes south. I believe it is SDF. I thought about getting it and a buddy of mine has it. I just never looked into it closely. It's supposed to be worth it. I haven't heard anything but good with it. It might be something that would never be used but it would be worth it that ONE time. The "better to have it and not need it than not have it and need it". I could be interested.

I just thought of something but I haven't read up on SDF. Can one use them also for if one needed a suppressor.? Like setting up a trust. In Va. I think an ATF form 4 or something is needed. Do you know much about it?

They have several levels but the one that we have is for like a million dollars and it's the basic plan. I don't know about the trust thing.They came out with a silver and gold and platinum. The different levels cover all type of stuff but the basic plan covers your defense lawyer in the self defense case. I think the next level up is coverage that includes civil case. In Alabama we have a law that if you are found innocent in the criminal case you can't be sued in civil court. I don't know how it is in other states. The $75.00 for BamaCarry members is half of the basic coverage or maybe even a little less. I think the basic without BC membership is $175.00 might be $150.00. I'm not sure. Krp is a BC member so he can get it. If y'all want I'll take it out of the AGT account and make everyone members. It's only 20 dollars a year for BamaCarry membership. If all of y'all approve. I wish I could foot the bill on the SDF thing but maybe as soon as AGT is raking in the big bucks we can do that. Right now it's doing good to pay the power bill, but it's improving. If that pre 64 Winchester Tom found sells on the auction, it will pay the bills for the next six months and still get everyone membership in BC.

I'll check with Linda and Gene about the trust thing. Since Linda is the president now and Gene is the treasurer they know more about it than I do.

One might not need the trust situation in Va. anymore. There is an ATF form to fill out to get a suppressor in Va. It should be a federal thing verses a State thing as long as a State allows them. I don't mind getting involved with SDF. Just let me know what I need to do.

Sorry about talking about two different subjects here but I think I am about bat sh#$ crazy anymore. LOL Too much research the last couple of days.

I'll let you know all the details about SDF as soon as Linda gets back. She is baby sitting this weekend. I'd hang on a bit before I did the trust thing for a suppressor. There has been a suit filed and I think a date set to here about the ATF making folks get a 200 dollar license to own one. The suit contends that a suppressor is not a firearm ( and it's not) so the ATF has no control or power to make any rules concerning them. It's funny that Great Britain has some of the strictest firearm laws in the world and you can buy a suppressor off the shelf in a drug store there. Their contention is that it is for hearing protection--and it is. These people over here have watched too many James Bond movies.

One does have to get a Federal stamp for one and it is $200. The trust I think has been eliminated. I am just not sure. I do know it is legal in Va. to own (buy) a suppressor. I also know a trust was involved at one time. I will talk to my FFL about this next week.

question......this is on the form 4473. I have filled this out many times (of course) and always wondered something........

b. Do you intend to sell or otherwise dispose of any firearm listed on this form and any continuation sheet(s) in furtherance of any felony or other offense punishable by imprisonment for a term of more than one year, a Federal crime of terrorism, or a drug trafficking offense?

My question is, if one purchases a firearm, is he not supposed to be able to sell it until a year has passed.?

Not in this case. They mean are you going to let someone ( sell or give to them) have it that intends to commit a felony or other offense that has a penalty of more than one year---as in the things listed -- a Federal crime of terrorism, or a drug trafficking offense. In other words are you buying or giving any of the guns on the form for a criminal.

Is there anything that says how long you must own a gun before selling or transferring? Would it matter if I bought a gun today and sold it tomorrow? It shouldn't be a problem but I wonder if that is what the ATF is trying to stop in making anyone that sells a firearm should have a FFL. As long as a transfer is done it shouldn't matter. But if you sold it to a friend or so called friend. I should be able to just give a firearm to my Son if I want to. (as long as he is legal to obtain one of course). Just curious.

That's what this new regulation is prohibiting. It says if you buy a firearm and sell it in less than a year then you will be considered "in the business." It also says that you don't have to make any money or even get any money for the gun ( swapped it for a set of tires) to be in the business. If you give the gun to your son or nephew or anybody in less than a year you will be considered "in the business." The damn thing goes into effect May 20th unless this suit that all the AG's have filed can get an injunction to stop it until it can come to court. So far GOA, NAGR, and 28 attorney generals have filed suits but I haven't heard if they have made any progress. Notice who is absent from the suit? Good ole Negotiate Rights Away, the NRA.
The one year thing applies to FFL's now. If I buy a gun from AGT then I have to wait until a calendar year has passed before I can sell it unless I put it back into the A&D book and run a 4473 on the person buying it. This prevents FFL's from purchasing a gun and selling it as a private sale without running a 4473 on the buyer.

Back