Looking for a........

double

Administrator
Staff member
Fixed power scope. Maybe a 4 or 6 power in compact length. Less than 10 inches long. I want to put one on my NEF 45-70. Any of you guys have one to sell?
I do like Leupold. Any suggestions on a good scope other than Leupold are welcome. I have looked at Redfields and Burris and Weaver scopes but they are just too long. Shorter scopes are just hard to find. I would rather not put a pile of money into this. Just something good enough to handle the recoil. Any suggestions?

I've had several Barska's back in the day. They were good ? But like everyone else, They changed product line, and manufacturing. So who knows.
Anyone making 4 or 6 power for centerfire rifles anymore ?

I have been looking my arse off. Leupold makes a 4x but I think its for a rimfire. I am looking at the Leupold 1.5x4 power but they are too much $$$ for what I need. I am watching a Leupold m7-3x which closes tomorrow. I am winning (so far) we will see. I don't want to put too much money into a scope for the NEF but I cant find what I want. A 3x9 would be ridiculous. I don't want too cheap (China) they are just stupid quality. An older Leupold compact M8 (4 or even 6x) would be good but none are out here right now. I did more research on Barska and I have decided against them.They do make a fixed 4x though. The older Redfields are just too long. As well as Simmons. Tasco.....forget about it. I will keep looking. Nothing with a battery would be acceptable either.

Last edited:
One more question...........How does one tell a rimfire scope from a center fire scope? Tube size? 3/4 tube would be a rimfire and a 1 inch for center fire. Scopes usually don't say on them the difference. Would it really matter? If one buys a new scope sometimes it will say rimfire but not always. What does one look for to differentiate.?

Matter of opinion ? I don't think a 3x9 would be too much ? But I'd look for a old Japan manufactured Tasco or Bushnell Banner/Command post in 32 mm...
Make sure you check eye relief on this rifle. On this rifle, because of the mount, some of the compact scopes are too short to get proper eye relief. And you may need a longer scope to get the spacing needed.

I have thought about eye relief. I will get my warne mount tomorrow and can check better. You might be right though on scope length. I have a Leupold m8 6x already that I could use or a Savage/Springfield 4x for a backup in case a compact wont work. I will wait for this evening when the Leupold 3x closes. It's only $34 now but that could change of course.

If I remember correct, The NEF and H&R Handi rifles have the mount more forward than back. I think they should have used a cantilever type mount to bring the scope back a bit. If memory serves, I looked into it ? but most most available were for AR type rifles, were too high and gave you a turkey neck problem on height. Bad cheek weld.
The Handi-rifles had some minor stock/scope mount issues, And were a tad screwy to get right for me. Long arms and all.
There's a H&R Target Classic with 5 days to run....38-55...That I'm keeping my eye on ? But as I already have a 38-55 in the Lil Sharps ? Depending how high it goes, I may just give it a pass.

I saw the 38-55. Came close to bid on it but held off. I am watching though.
One has to watch the closing of the rifle also with a scope mount on the Nef. If the mount hangs past the barrel at the breech could be a problem.

The difference between the rimfire scopes and the centerfire scopes for one thing is the parallax is set for 50 yds on the rimfire and 100 on the centerfire. The big thing now is some scope manufacturers and setting them for a particular caliber. I'm not sure that would make a big difference in a hunting situation but it will sell to some folks that think they have to have the newest miracle to make up for being a crummy shot. I've seen scopes lately advertised as sighted in for 223 at 100 yds and 270 at 100 yds---how the hell do they know what powder charge, brass manufacturer and bullet weight a person is going to use in that particular gun? I understand this concept in match competition rifles but for a hunting gun, why?

I agree with that and have thought the same thing. Some are computerized where you can put in your charge and bullet weight and so forth but to pull one off the rack for a certain caliber....give me a break. I stay away from those scopes. All I want is a duplex.

I didn't get that scope I was watching. Went for more than I was willing to pay. Still on the search.

I got a good price on a Leupold VX-II 2x7 33. I will try that on the NEF. It is 10 3/4 inches long so I think it will work. Probably look better than a scope over 12 inches also. My base hasn't showed up yet (of course) since it been handed over to USPS. I would have been happy with a fixed power but most of them were just too long for my liking. I think this scope will be just fine. All I need is rings and I think I have some. Let me get a shovel and look for em.

I got a good price on a Leupold VX-II 2x7 33. I will try that on the NEF. It is 10 3/4 inches long so I think it will work. Probably look better than a scope over 12 inches also. My base hasn't showed up yet (of course) since it been handed over to USPS. I would have been happy with a fixed power but most of them were just too long for my liking. I think this scope will be just fine. All I need is rings and I think I have some. Let me get a shovel and look for em.
I have one of those rifles. They are pretty good guns got their price. Probably most inexpensive way to get into a 45/70

I got the scope on the NEF. Had to modify the base for the breech to close but I kind of expected that. Being a steel base, I was able to blue the ground off part. I also had to modify the hammer extension. It is aluminum and the aluminum black took care of that. I am pleased with the Leupold v-II 2x7 scope. Doesn't look too big and is a nice fit for the NEF 45-70. Now to sight in.

You know.......guns are kinda like cars. There are some that one always have wanted. Why....its kinda a personal liking that maybe follows one personality. Even the color impacts this issue. There are some guns that I have always wanted and I have fulfilled that want in a lot of ways. I spent years waiting and looking and searching trying to find the ones I really wanted in the condition I wanted. It is almost an addiction but in a good way. I always wanted a Finnwolf and I have satisfied that craving. Some Winchesters that I have acquired have also satisfied the craving. Not to mention the REm 30 that I have waited years to acquire. It is a self satisfying reward paying off with the patience and the strength to wait for a better example of what I was looking for. My Valmet (243 over 12) took 20 years to find and obtain. It was actually my first purchase on GA. Got it from S.Luke in Arizona. I can remember being a little nervous waiting for it to arrive and hoping everything was legit. Back then it was a pretty pricey item.
Through the years I picked up some guns that weren't really on my "must have" list but they were just sugar on the doughnut. Some guns I really want are just way out of my price range to even consider realistically. Sometimes that hurts when I see one that is in great shape.But one has to draw the line somewhere I guess.
There are other guns that were on my list that I have obtained and feel good about doing it. It's a feeling of satisfaction that I cant get anywhere else. There are still some on my list I would like to have but my list is getting shorter and that leaves a sinking feeling in my gut. I find myself searching guns in books and on the internet to add to my list of must haves but as the years go by the less good condition these guns are becoming. I wish people would take care of their stuff. I understand that some guns were used utilitarilly and used hard. There are some of mine that have been used hard but they were still taken care of.
I don't know why I wrote all this stuff but it has been in my head for awhile and just needed it to get out. I am tired of looking for sugar on a doughnut and would really just want a good doughnut that is worth it by itself.I want my must have list to grow,...not dwindle. With today's type guns, I am afraid that my list will run out.

Back